Welcome to the Word on the Street 4/7/2017.
Word on the Street 4/17/17
- I am beyond excited and thrilled to report that my amazing friend, Susie Orman Schnall, has a new two-book deal with St. Martins. Her book, The Subway Girls, will be published next Spring. Susie is the founder of The Balance Project and the author of the outstanding novel by the same name. The book club we did with Susie in the Great Thoughts’ Great Readers’ book salon had the most participation the group has ever seen. It is truly a joy to see her go to traditional publishing where her books will get the widespread attention they deserve!
- J. Courtney Sullivan wrote Maine (which I loved), The Engagements and Commencement and has a book coming out May 9th titled Saints for All Occasions. She also has another book coming soon with Knopf which looks so good. It is “the story of a new mother and the intense friendship she develops with her daughter’s babysitter.”
- Jamie Ford has sold a film option for House on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. This should have already been made into a movie! Very exciting!
- This coming week a host of wonderful books will be published including:
- The Hideaway by Lauren Denton- a WONDERFUL Southern debut novel,
- The Night The Lights Went Out by Karen White– another Karen White masterpiece,
- The Widow of Wall Street by Randy Susan Meyers– a novel about how one spouse’s decisions affect the family. As always with Meyers’ books, the dialogue is flawless,
- White Sand Blue Sea by Anita Hughes– a novel set in St. Barts with romance. Need I say more?
- One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline– another fast-paced perfect Scottoline book.
Winston Churchill said, “A good speech should be like a woman’s skirt; long enough to cover the subject and short enough to create interest.”
I would argue that a good book review should be the same. This week I spent some time reading reviews on Goodreads and Amazon. I quickly came to the conclusion that most reviewers feel that a review must re-tell the plot or contain spoilers. Thus, I came up with this:
Great Thoughts’ Great Readers
I chat all books all the time in my book salon on Facebook, Great Thoughts Great Readers. We have over 2,600 readers and authors there daily chatting all things book. Join us there.