Books to Lose Yourself in Over Memorial Day Weekend
Ah, Memorial Day, the unofficial start to Summer and, more importantly, Summer Reads. Whether you are at home wishing you were vacationing, on a beach or on a long flight, here are the hottest of new books for the long weekend:
Perfect Summer Reads Best Read on a Beach, either real or imagined
- The Book of Summer by Michelle Gable- This is THE book of Summer 2017. Be transported back to Nantucket to the wonderful Cliff House during World War II via a faded guest book. The characters, story and feelings from this book are all Summer perfection. “Bess’s grandmother always said it was a house of women, and by the very last day of the very last summer at Cliff House, Bess will understand the truth of her grandmother’s words in ways she never contemplated.”
- The Forever Summer by Jamie Brenner– Long buried secrets bring three generations of women to Provincetown and coastal New England. The beauty of this book is that it is so REAL- this is not a fairy tale but a page-turner that explores the ramifications of love, truth, and family put to the test. Blurbed by Adriana Trigiani- need I say more?
- The Hideaway by Lauren K. Denton– What a lovely debut novel! This book takes us to Sweet Bay, Alabama where Sara Jenkins goes home after the death of her grandmother. Like all great Southern fiction, The Hideaway features long buried family secrets, a host of characters who are real characters and the hot Southern gentleman. I loved this debut and am eager to see what Denton writes next.
Seriously Good Fiction Best Read on a Long flight to a Bucket List Destination
- The Widow of Wall Street by Randy Susan Meyers – Randy Susan Meyers is simply the best at portraying a marriage and the interplay of husband and wife. In her newest book, we meet Phoebe and Jake who marry young and go from “penthouse to prison.” Jake, a Madoff type character, has created a Ponzi scheme that Phoebe knows nothing about. How will Phoebe know define or redefine her life?
- The Arrangement by Sarah Dunn– I love a novel where I laugh out loud, repeatedly. The Arrangement is simply a brilliant novel. On one level, it is funny and light. On another level, Dunn delves into real people’s lives and truly shows what they are feeling. “Why not try a short marital experiment? Six months, clear ground rules, zero questions asked.” I dare you to read it and not love chicken.
- Crossing the Street by Molly D. Campbell– This is a funny and touching intergenerational novel. When I read the blurb by Jamie Ford, I was intrigued. When I read the book, I was so happy. You can’t help but love the characters, and they are characters. Add a touching military homecoming and you have a winner of a Summer read.
Thrillers Best Read Early in the Day
- Beach Lawyer by Avery Duff is a legal thriller that I read in one long sitting. This debut novel is a page-turner that you will love!
- One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline is an incredibly fast-paced thriller that every parent of teens should read. Set in a suburban high school, One Perfect Lie features such twists and turns. I daresay this is Scottoline’s best.
- Almost Missed You by Jessica Strawser is an outstanding debut novel. When a husband and child disappear from a beach, the wife is left to figure out what happened. This novel explores marriage and secrets and is cleverly told via different narrators.
Fantastic Historical Fiction Best Read Floating in a Pool or Dreaming of Floating in a Pool
- Before the Rain Falls by Camille DiMaio is an absolutely wonderful family saga featuring Della Lee returning to her home town after serving seventy years in prison for the murder of her sister, Eula. Family secrets and amazing history in this meticulously researched novel.
- The Saturday Evening Girls Club by Jane Healey “feels” exactly as if you are reading an Adriana Trigiani novel- Splendido! I love immigrant stories and Healey has written an absolute gem.
- The Orphan’s Tale by Pam Jenoff quickly hit the NYT bestseller list and rightly so. The story of a circus during World War II featuring friendship, survival and secrets. An amazing book that must be read.
Wherever you are spending Memorial Day weekend, I wish you great reading!
Great Thoughts’ Great Readers
I chat all books all the time in my book salon on Facebook, Great Thoughts Great Readers. We have close to 3,000 readers and authors there daily chatting all things book. Join us there.
I received advance review copies of each of these books. All opinions and desire to be on a beach are my own.
What are you reading and where are you going?