To quote Robert Frost, this website is created to “unite my avocation and my vocation.”
Welcome to Great Thoughts! I’m so glad you are here. Grab a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, relax and hang out with us. Come back and visit often!
After 20 years in high pressure sales, I retired to spend time doing what I love- hanging with my family, reading good books and enjoying good travel. I am always looking for the next great read and the next great beach or warm locale.
Thus, Great Thoughts was born in an attempt to share books and trips I love and to find out what I should read next and where I should travel next.
To give you an idea of the books I like, please note:
1. I don’t do vampires, sci fi, dystopian, utopian or super sad books.
2. Mindless boy meet girl novels don’t do it for me.
3. Really dark tragic stories aren’t my thing. Real life is dark enough for me!
3. I need escapism- self -help and non fiction rarely get my attention. I love book club type fiction- realistic stories of women and families. Calgon, take me away!
4. I LOVE books that describe various cultures and religions. Indian fiction, Jewish fiction and all forms of historical fiction are some of my favorites.
5. I do not post reviews for books I don’t like. This website is about the love of reading!
6. If I like a book, I may invite the author to do a guest post for us. I find that you can learn so much more about a book and an author from a guest post. I also promote books in my Facebook Book salon here and on Instagram here.
7. If you’d like me to consider a book for review, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not pitch me on Twitter or Facebook messenger as I may not see it and it’s impersonal, don’t you think?
8. I also run the Great Thoughts’ Great Readers Book Salon on Facebook where conversation is happening hourly. We have a monthly book club there as well. Come mingle with your favorite authors. Join us there!
What are you reading?
To give you an idea of the trips I like, please note:
1. I am a hotel snob and proud of it. We don’t travel often but when we do, I like the little chocolates on my bed at night and good samples of lotion and shampoo in the bathroom. That’s how I roll.
2. I don’t do cold weather. Travel, for me, means beach, sun or a fabulous city like Chicago, New York or Las Vegas. My preference is ALWAYS beach!
3. I don’t do layovers, if it can be helped. Direct flights are the best!
4. I try to maximize travel points and free travel. Might as well go 5 star and free, if possible, right?
Where are you going?