Welcome to the March 3, 2017 Word on the Street where I share what I’ve heard and seen in book world recently.
Word on the Street
Hello March in Book World!
- Jenna Blum announced her next book, The Lost Family, will be published by Harper Collins in the Spring of 2018. So thrilled and about time Jenna! This post by Jenna Blum from 2011 is still one of the most read on my website.
- Susan Meissner’s The Bridge Across the Ocean comes out this coming week with the most beautiful cover. It is the story of war brides aboard the Queen Mary. I loved it.
- Advance copies of Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan came out this week for reviewers and bloggers. It publishes on May 23, 2017. His first book, Crazy Rich Asians was my Top Book of 2013. China Rich Girlfriend, the sequel, was in my Top Books of 2015. I am half-way through Rich People Problems and yes, it will be in this year’s top books as well.
- I had a wonderful lunch this week with author Amy Poeppel whose debut novel Small Admissions came out in December. A fabulous read and a fabulous author! She has another book coming out next Spring with Emily Bestler Books as well.
- On the homefront, I am thrilled to say that Dallas is getting a fabulous indie bookstore located in Preston Royal! Welcome Interabang Books! We cannot wait until you open this Spring. Authors, Dallas is open for business so come on down!
Do It For the Author
In 2005, Deidre Sullivan shared on NPR that her father said “Always go to the funeral. Do it for the family.” That piece has stayed with me for years.
Now I’d like to offer a similar thought- “Always write the review. Do it for the author.” What I have learned from my book world activities is that authors are writing to make a living and support their families. I think that sometimes readers forget this. If you like the book, post your reviews on Amazon. The number of reviews directly affects where a given book will show up in the Amazon searches. Also, your review encourages others to buy the book. If you love to read, pay it back by supporting the author. Do it for the author.
Great Thoughts Great Readers
I chat all books all the time in my book salon on Facebook, Great Thoughts Great Readers. We have over 2,300 readers and authors there daily chatting all things book. Join us there.